Saturday we got to work. First we had to grind the edge of the counter where the stove would sit, it was just a smidge to wide. Nick did the grinding and I followed behind with the shop vac so as to avoid making too big of a mess. Then Nick got to sanding the tops of the counters...now that was a dusty and dirty job. He sprayed the concrete with water as he sanded to keep the dust to a minimum, but it still got everywhere.
After the dust had settled it was time for step 2, grout. Before we could begin however we had to cover the floor with paper and the cabinets with plastic. A bag of black grout was purchased from Lowe's and then worked into the gap around the sink with a putty knife. We also rubbed a thin layer over the entire countertop to fill in any small holes or rough spots. Nick applied it with a trowel and then rubbed it off with a large sponge. I was the designated water girl, making frequent trips out to the hose to get clean water.
Nick started applying it with a paint brush, but soon gave it up for a rag which was much easier to wipe on. I then followed behind with a clean rag to wipe off any excess stain until we had a nice even coat. As you can see from the photo below it was quite a messy process.
We gave the stain about 4-5 hours to dry before sealing it. We used a high gloss "wet look" sealer and used a large paint brush to apply it. After letting it sit for a few minutes I used a clean rag to wipe up any excess. It went on looking somewhat milky, but dried to a nice glossy finish. Don't mind the messy walls, we plan on putting tile there.
I have now been able to use the counters for 5 days and I love them. They clean up so easily and look so so good. Project complete.