Monday, November 28, 2011

The Story of a Fireplace Makeover: part 2

Along with eating way too much pumpkin pie over the weekend we were also able to get some major work done on the fireplace. When we stopped last weekend we were at this point in the process...


First thing Nick needed to do was patch the mortar on the inside floor of the fireplace. The mortar between the bricks in the picture below was completely degraded.

before

during

after

While the mortar was drying the paint grade MDF was cut down to size. Starting with either side of the fireplace and making sure to cut around the vent openings. It was secured to the 2x4's with nails.



Once the MDF was on Nick got to work adding trim around the edges so as to create a seamless look.



Once the mortar was dry the next step was paint. Nick picked up a can of high heat spray paint in black at Lowe's for the project. He sprayed the exterior bricks, inside walls, and vents with the high heat paint. We still plan on either painting or staining the inside floor and the outside tile.


Next up was cutting the trim pieces to size to create the desired look we were going for. Nick was a rock star at this point. There were so many cuts and pieces to put together to accomplish our goal.



We still need to caulk, sand and paint. Plus we need to build the actual mantle piece, but we are well on our way.

Monday, November 21, 2011

The Story of a Fireplace Makeover: part 1

For the past few weeks we have been a bit burnt out in regards to projects and the house. Instead we have been watching episodes of Law and Order: SVU on Netflix. It was a much needed break, but we are back.

On Thursday I started playing around with the design of the fireplace...you know height, width, style...by using painters tape to get a visual. Then I started looking around the internet for inspirational pictures of various ideas. One in particular caught not only my eye but Nick's as well.

via: theletteredcottage.net

After discussing the picture with Nick he got to work with the painters tape to recreate it on our fireplace. We have to work the vents into our recreation, but I think it will turn out pretty good.


Saturday morning Nick set out to Lowe's with a list of supplies to buy, while I was busy getting Hayden ready for her first "princess party".  We had to improvise a bit on the princess dress, but everything she has on she insisted on either wearing or holding.


While Hayden and I were gone Nick and Archie got to work. The first step was removing the brass fireplace cover and the remaining two vent covers. Next was cleaning out all the old soot and wood. This is what we were left with. We will be painting the bricks and the inside of the fireplace black along with the tiles in front and all three vents.


This is as far as we got on Saturday because we got hung up on exactly how to incorporate those blasted vents into our design. Sunday we finally got back to work...when I say we, I generally mean Nick...by building out the fireplace surround with 2x4's and 1x2.5's to give it some added depth and dimension. Because the wall is cinder block and plaster nick had to pre-drill every hole, fill it with liquid nails and a plug and then drill the wood to the walls. It was slightly time consuming, but we are well on our way to a beautiful fireplace.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Hopefully we will be getting some major work done on the fireplace this weekend. 
I see a beautiful mantle in our future.


Have a great weekend!