Monday, December 19, 2011

The Fireplace Reveal.

We did it...we finally finished the fireplace. I am completely and utterly in LOVE with it! Nick did such an amazing job and worked so hard on this thing. To read the story from the beginning go here, here, and here.

First the before...


And now the after... 


We painted the tiles in front of the fireplace with a black high heat spray paint.


We put a piece of trim just below the mantle to give it some added dimension.



This is one of the original vent covers and I love it. Nick scraped and sanded about 50 layers of paint off this sucker to reveal a lot of little details that you couldn't see before.


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!


Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Story of a Fireplace Makeover: part 3

I was really hoping this "story" wouldn't have so many parts, but with a husband that works and attends school full-time that just wasn't the case.

Anyways, we did get some work done last weekend and we are thisclose to finishing.

When we left off the fireplace was looking something like this: bricks painted, and almost all the woodwork complete.


The first thing Nick did was caulk the seams, putty the nail holes and give the whole thing a good sanding. Then he applied Kilz2 Latex Primer, which left us with this...


The next step was securing a 2x4 to the wall with screws and liquid nails to support the mantle. Two small pieces of wood were put on either end of the 2x4 for added support.


Earlier in the week Rick was able to build our mantle out of Poplar purchased at Intermountain Wood Products. On Saturday Nick got to work applying putty to the nail holes and giving it a good sanding before applying the stain. We used RUST-OLEUM Ultimate Wood Stain in their Kona finish. Next he applied Minwax Wipe-on Polyurethane. She sure is gorgeous!


The mantle is currently hanging on the wall, but I will save that picture for the finished product reveal. This weekend cannot come fast enough.