Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Story of a Fireplace Makeover: part 3

I was really hoping this "story" wouldn't have so many parts, but with a husband that works and attends school full-time that just wasn't the case.

Anyways, we did get some work done last weekend and we are thisclose to finishing.

When we left off the fireplace was looking something like this: bricks painted, and almost all the woodwork complete.


The first thing Nick did was caulk the seams, putty the nail holes and give the whole thing a good sanding. Then he applied Kilz2 Latex Primer, which left us with this...


The next step was securing a 2x4 to the wall with screws and liquid nails to support the mantle. Two small pieces of wood were put on either end of the 2x4 for added support.


Earlier in the week Rick was able to build our mantle out of Poplar purchased at Intermountain Wood Products. On Saturday Nick got to work applying putty to the nail holes and giving it a good sanding before applying the stain. We used RUST-OLEUM Ultimate Wood Stain in their Kona finish. Next he applied Minwax Wipe-on Polyurethane. She sure is gorgeous!


The mantle is currently hanging on the wall, but I will save that picture for the finished product reveal. This weekend cannot come fast enough.

1 comment:

Annalisa said...

aahhh the suspense is killing me!!!