Now this thing is huge. We decided to fill the center of our form with rocks and dirt so as to not have to use so much concrete. Then we calculated the amount of bags we would need and headed to Lowe's. Once back home we covered the gaps at the bottom of the form with road base and then got to mixing concrete.
Man those 80lb bags really take it out of you. Once the bottom step was just about filled we realized we didn't have nearly enough bags. Crap. So while Nick ran back to Lowe's for 25 more bags I stayed home to mix and pour the remaining 4 bags. Concrete is a messy and intense job.
When we removed the top forms that sat on the bottom step we ran into a bit of a problem, the wood made a very large dent in the step. Crap. So we scrambled to find any extra concrete that was still wet enough to fix the mistake. We eventually got it all smoothed out and were so happy with the result.
We used a total of 58 bags. It was a long and grueling process, but once we started pulling those forms off to reveal a beautiful finish it was all worth it. We started pouring around 2pm and finally walked back into the house around 8:30pm. It was one long day.
Progress people. Progress.